Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification KitProduct information
Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit
|50 preps||-||Unavailable in your region|
Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit
|150 preps||-||Unavailable in your region|
Quickly and easily purify high quality, high molecular weight gDNA from multiple sample types, all with one kit!
- For use with a broad range of sample types, such as cells, blood, and tissues (including fatty and fibrous tissues)
- Also works with tough to lyse samples (e.g., bacteria, yeast)
- Suitable for clinically-relevant samples (e.g., saliva, cheek)
- Obtain excellent yields of highly-pure DNA
- Extremely low residual RNA contamination (typically <1%)
- Isolates high molecular weight gDNA (peak size typically ≥ 50 kb)
- Use DNA directly in downstream applications, including PCR, qPCR and NGS
- Fast, user-friendly protocols with short lysis times and minimal hands-on time
- Can also be used to clean up previously extracted gDNA
- Includes RNase A
- Kit components available separately
Learn more about Monarch DNA and RNA purification products
The Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit is a comprehensive solution for cell lysis, RNA removal, and purification of intact genomic DNA (gDNA) from a wide variety of biological samples, including cultured cells, blood, and mammalian tissues. Additionally, bacteria and yeast can be processed with extra steps to enhance lysis in these tough-to-lyse samples. Protocols are also included to enable purification from clinically-relevant samples such as saliva and cheek swabs as well as rapid cleanup of previously extracted gDNA. Purified gDNA has high quality metrics, including A260/A280 > 1.8 and A260/A230 > 2.0, high DIN scores and minimal residual RNA. The purified gDNA is suitable for downstream applications such as end-point PCR, qPCR and library prep for NGS. It typically has a peak size of > 50kb, making this kit an excellent choice upstream of long-read sequencing platforms.
Cultured mammalian cells: up to 5 x 106 cells
Mammalian whole blood: 100 µl
Tissue: up to 25 mg, depending on tissue type
Bacteria: up to 2 x 109
Yeast: up to 5 x 107
Saliva: up to 500 µl
Genomic DNA requiring cleanup
|Binding Capacity:||30 µg genomic DNA|
|Yield:||Varies depending on sample type|
|Genomic DNA Size:||Peak size > 50 kb for most sample types; may be lower for saliva and buccal swabs|
|RNA Content||< 1% (with included RNase A treatment)|
|Elution Volume||≥35 µl, but 100 µl is recommended|
A260/280 ≥ 1.8
A260/230 ≥ 2.0
Validated Sample Types:
The following reagents are supplied with this product:
|Store at (°C)||Concentration|
|Proteinase K, Molecular Biology Grade||-20||800 units/ml|
|Monarch® Collection Tubes II||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Tissue Lysis Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Cell Lysis Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Blood Lysis Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Binding Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Wash Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Elution Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Purification Columns||25|
|Monarch® RNase A||-20||20 mg/ml|
Properties & Usage
- Monarch RNase A and Proteinase K should be stored at -20°C after opening the kit.
Protocols, Manuals & Usage
- Quick Protocol for Extraction and Purification of Genomic DNA
- Download Quick Protocol Card
- Protocol for Extraction and Purification of Genomic DNA from Cells (NEB #T3010)
- Protocol for Extraction and Purification of Genomic DNA from Tissues (NEB #T3010)
- Protocol for Extraction and Purification of Genomic DNA from Blood (NEB #T3010)
- Genomic DNA Purification from Gram-negative Bacteria (NEB #T3010)
- Genomic DNA Purification from Gram-positive Bacteria and Archaea (NEB #T3010)
- Genomic DNA Purification from Yeast (NEB #T3010)
- Genomic DNA Purification from Buccal Swabs (NEB #T3010)
- Genomic DNA Purification from Saliva (NEB #T3010)
- Genomic DNA Cleanup Protocol
- Genomic DNA Purification from Insects
Usage & Guidelines
FAQs & Troubleshooting
- What is the composition of each buffer provided with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit?
- What is the maximum binding capacity of the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit columns?
- What is the minimum elution volume that can be used with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit columns?
- How important is it to pre-heat the elution buffer to 60°C? Would 56°C be OK?
- Can I get better recovery with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit if I do a second elution with my eluent from the first elution?
- Can I use a different elution buffer than the one supplied with the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010)?
- What size gDNA can be purified with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit?
- What is the minimal input amount that can be used with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit?
- Can I use the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit to clean up gDNA that was extracted with phenol/chloroform?
- Can I use the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit for gDNA cleanup?
- How can I assess gDNA integrity and purity?
- Can I use a different RNase A with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit?
- Can I use a different Proteinase K with the Monarch® Genomic DNA Purification Kit?
- Can I omit the low-speed binding centrifugation step to save time?
- Can I omit the RNase A digestion step from the protocol?
- How should I store purified gDNA samples?
- Is Monarch-purified gDNA suitable for long-range PCR?
- Can I purchase Monarch® buffers and columns separately?
- When working with other commercial silica column-based kits, I occasionally see a white precipitate in the eluate. What is this?
- Can I use Monarch® RNase A for applications/workflows other than gDNA purification?
- Is Monarch-purified gDNA compatible with Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) platforms like PacBio and nanopore?
- Why did the silica membrane on my Monarch Genomic DNA Column (NEB #T3017) dislodge during my genomic DNA prep?
- Can the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010) be used to isolate gDNA from drosophila and other insects?
- Can the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010) be used to isolate gDNA from plants?
- Can the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010) be used to isolate gDNA from plasma, serum and urine?
- Can the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010) be used for isolating cfDNA?
- Can the Monarch Genomic DNA Purification Kit (NEB #T3010) be used with a vacuum manifold?
Quality, Safety & Legal
Quality Assurance StatementQuality Control tests are performed on each new lot of NEB product to meet the specifications designated for it. Specifications and individual lot data from the tests that are performed for this particular product can be found and downloaded on the Product Specification Sheet, Certificate of Analysis, data card or product manual. Further information regarding NEB product quality can be found here.
SpecificationsThe Specification sheet is a document that includes the storage temperature, shelf life and the specifications designated for the product. The following file naming structure is used to name these document files: [Product Number]_[Size]_[Version]
Certificate Of AnalysisThe Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a signed document that includes the storage temperature, expiration date and quality controls for an individual lot. The following file naming structure is used to name these document files: [Product Number]_[Size]_[Version]_[Lot Number]
Safety DataSheetsThe following is a list of Safety Data Sheet (SDS) that apply to this product to help you use it safely.
Proteinase K, Molecular Biology Grade
Monarch® gDNA Tissue Lysis Buffer
Monarch® gDNA Cell Lysis Buffer
Monarch® gDNA Blood Lysis Buffer
Monarch® gDNA Binding Buffer
Monarch® gDNA Wash Buffer
Monarch® gDNA Elution Buffer
Monarch® RNase A
Legal and DisclaimersThis product is covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB).
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
New England Biolabs (NEB) is committed to practicing ethical science – we believe it is our job as researchers to ask the important questions that when answered will help preserve our quality of life and the world that we live in. However, this research should always be done in safe and ethical manner. Learn more.
The supporting documents available for this product can be downloaded below.