100 bp DNA LadderProduct information
- Size range: 100 bp - 1,517 bp
- Supplied with free vial of Gel Loading Dye, Purple (6X), no SDS (NEB #B7025).
- Easy-to-identify reference bands
- Value pricing
- Small size suitable for 100 gel lanes; large size suitable for 500 gel lanes
A number of proprietary plasmids are digested to completion with appropriate restriction enzymes to yield 12 bands suitable for use as molecular weight standards for agarose gel electrophoresis. The digested DNA includes fragments ranging from 100-1,517 base pairs. The 500 and 1,000 base pair bands have increased intensity to serve as reference points. The approximate mass of DNA in each of the bands is provided (assuming a 0.5 μg load) for approximating the mass of DNA in comparably intense samples of similar size.
Comes supplied with 1 vial of Gel Loading Dye, Purple (6X), no SDS.
NEB also offers a Quick-Load version of this ladder with purple dye.
- Recommended gel percentage range: 1.2-3%
- Optimum separation on 2%
The following reagents are supplied with this product:
|Store at (°C)||Concentration|
|Gel Loading Dye, Purple (6X), no SDS||25||6 X|
- Product Categories:
- DNA Markers & Ladders Products
- DNA Analysis
Properties and Usage
Effective Size Range100.0bp to 1,517.0bp
10 mM Tris-HCl
1 mM EDTA
pH 8.0 @ 25°C
- This ladder was not designed for precise quantification of DNA mass but can be used for approximating the mass of DNA in comparably intense samples of similar size.
- We recommend loading 0.5 μg of 100 bp DNA Ladder diluted in sample buffer.
- All fragments have 4-base, 5´ overhangs that can be end labeled using T4 Polynucleotide Kinase (#M0201) or filled-in using DNA Polymerase I, Klenow Fragment (#M0210) (1). Use α-[32P] dATP or α-[32P] dTTP for the fill-in reaction.
- 100 bp DNA Ladder is stable for at least 3 months at 4°C.
- For long term storage store at -20°C. If samples need to be diluted, use TE or other buffer of minimal ionic strength. DNA may denature if diluted in dH2O.
- Due to the limitations of the acrylamide gel technology, one or two extra bands may be visible on the DNA ladders when run on a polyacrylamide gel.
- 1X Gel Loading Dye, Purple (6X), no SDS:
3.3mM Tris-HCl (pH 8.0@25°C)
0.02% Dye 1
0.001% Dye 2
- Sambrook, J., Fritsch, E.F. and Maniatis, T. (1989). Molecular Cloning: A Laboratory Manual (2nd Ed.). 10.51-10.67.
Faqs & Tech Tips
- Why are there extra bands visible on polyacrylamide gels?
- Why is the separation of the lower bands incomplete?
- What are the overhangs on the DNA ladder fragments? Can I end-label them using the T4 polynucleotide kinase (PNK)? What about the Klenow fragment?
- Why are the DNA ladders showing up on my Southern blot? What is the sequence or composition of the ladder bands?
- How can I quantify the amount of DNA in each band of a marker?
- Can I use GelRed® with the DNA Ladders from NEB?
- Can I use Midori Green with the DNA Ladders from NEB?
- Can I use SYBR® with the DNA Ladders from NEB?
To make it ready-to-load, dilute in TE buffer instead of water.
Protocols & Manuals
Other Tools & Resources
Quality & Safety
Quality Assurance StatementQuality Control tests are performed on each new lot of NEB product to meet the specifications designated for it. Specifications and individual lot data from the tests that are performed for this particular product can be found and downloaded on the Product Specification Sheet, Certificate of Analysis, data card or product manual. Further information regarding NEB product quality can be found here.
SpecificationsThe Specification sheet is a document that includes the storage temperature, shelf life and the specifications designated for the product. The following file naming structure is used to name these document files: [Product Number]_[Size]_[Version]
Certificate Of AnalysisThe Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a signed document that includes the storage temperature, expiration date and quality control's for an individual lot. The following file naming structure is used to name these document files: [Product Number]_[Size]_[Version]_[Lot Number]
Safety DataSheetsThe following is a list of Safety Data Sheet (SDS) that apply to this product to help you use it safely.
100 bp DNA Ladder
Gel Loading Dye, Purple (6X), no SDS
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.