Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep KitProduct information
Applicable for COVID-19 research
Many scientists are working very hard to gain more knowledge about the SARS-CoV-2 virus (previously 2019-nCoV) and develop diagnostic tests, treatments and vaccines. Crucial questions about this coronavirus need to be answered so quick and reliable research tools matter now more than ever. We at BIOKÉ support the fight against the COVID-19 pandemic by offering a range of high quality products for virus research, from viral purification kits to qPCR plates, together with our reliable technical support.
Quickly and easily purify up to 100 µg of high quality total RNA from multiple sample types – all with one kit!
- For use with blood, cells and tissues, saliva, and buccal/nasopharyngeal swabs
- Also works with tough to lyse samples (bacteria, yeast, plant)
- Effectively purifies total RNA of all sizes, including small RNAs >20 nt
- Efficient genomic DNA removal (column and DNase I-based)
- Contains Proteinase K for processing of tissues and blood samples
- Includes DNA/RNA Protection Reagent for sample preservation
- Protocols available for automated RNA extraction from saliva on the QIAcube® and KingFisher™ Flex
- Kit components available separately
Learn more about Monarch DNA and RNA purification products
Featured VideosView Video Library
Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Protocol
Tips for Successful RNA Purification using Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit
Avoiding RNase Contamination
How to recycle your Monarch Kit components
The Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit is a comprehensive solution for sample preservation, cell lysis, gDNA removal, and purification of total RNA from a wide variety of biological samples, including cultured cells, blood, and mammalian tissues. Additionally, tough-to-lyse samples, such as bacteria, yeast, and plant, can be processed with additional steps that enhance lysis. Cleanup of enzymatic reactions or purification of RNA from TRIzol® -extracted samples is also possible using this kit. Purified RNA has high quality metrics, including A260/280 and A260/230 ratios >1.8, high RIN scores, and minimal residual gDNA. Captured RNA ranges in size from full-length rRNAs down to intact miRNAs. Additionally, differential binding conditions allow selective capture or exclusion of the sub-200 nucleotide RNA pool that includes miRNA, 5S rRNA, and tRNA. Purified RNA is suitable for downstream applications, such as RT-qPCR, cDNA synthesis, RNA-seq, Northern blot analysis, etc.
|Binding Capacity:||100 µg RNA|
|RNA Size:||≥ 20 nt|
|Purity:||A260/280 usually ≥ 1.8, A260/230 usually ≥ 1.8|
|Tissue Input:||up to 20 mg for high yield tissues|
|up to 50 mg for low yield tissues|
|Cultured Mammalian Cells and Blood Cells (PBMC's, WBC's) Input:||up to 1 x 107|
|Mammalian Whole Blood Input:||up to 3 ml|
|Bacteria Input:||up to 1 x 109|
|Yeast Input:||up to 5 x 107|
|Plant Input:||up to 100 mg|
|Elution Volume:||30 - 100 μl|
|Yield:||varies depending on sample type|
|Compatible downstream applications:||RNA Library prep for NGS, RT-PCR, RT-qPCR, Northern blots|
Validated Sample Types:
Additional Data Figures:
The following reagents are supplied with this product:
|Store at (°C)||Concentration|
|Monarch® Proteinase K||25|
|Monarch® Proteinase K Resuspension Buffer||25|
|Monarch® Proteinase K Reaction Buffer||25|
|Monarch® DNase I||25|
|Monarch® DNase I Reaction Buffer||25|
|Monarch® Nuclease-free Water||25|
|Monarch® RNA Purification Columns||25|
|Monarch® DNA/RNA Protection Reagent||25|
|Monarch® RNA Lysis Buffer||25|
|Monarch® RNA Priming Buffer||25|
|Monarch® RNA Wash Buffer||25|
|Monarch® gDNA Removal Columns||25|
|Monarch® Collection Tubes II||25|
- Product Categories:
- RNA Reagents Products,
- Total RNA Extraction & Purification Products,
- RNA Extraction & Purification Products ,
- Nucleic Acid Purification Products
Properties & Usage
- Monarch DNase I and Monarch Proteinase K can be stored at room temperature before reconstitution. After reconstitution, please store the enzymes at -20°C. We recommend aliquoting DNase I to minimize freeze-thaw cycles.
Protocols, Manuals & Usage
- Quick Protocol for Total RNA Extraction (NEB #T2010)
- Download Quick Protocol Card
- RNA Extraction from Cells
- RNA Extraction from Tissues
- RNA Extraction from Blood
- Total RNA Purification from Tough-to-Lyse Samples (bacteria, yeast, plant, etc.) using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- FFPE Tissue Deparaffinization and Subsequent RNA Purification Using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit NEB T2010
- Total RNA Purification from TRIzol®-extracted Samples using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- Total RNA Purification from Samples in RNAlater® using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- Total RNA Purification from Samples Stored in Monarch DNA/RNA Protection Reagent using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- RNA Reaction Cleanup using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- In-tube DNase I Treatment after Purification with the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- Fractionation of Small and Large RNA Using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- RNA Extraction from Saliva, Buccal Swabs, and Nasopharyngeal Swabs using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)
- Automation of RNA Extraction from Saliva Using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit
Usage & Guidelines
- General Guidelines for Successful RNA Purification Using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit
- Guidance on Choosing Sample Input Amounts when Using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit
- Guidelines for Purification of RNA from Cultured Mammalian Cells
- Guidelines for RNA Purification from Bacteria
- Guidelines for RNA Purification from Leukocytes (WBCs, PBMCs)
- Guidelines for RNA Purification from Plants
- Guidelines for RNA Purification from Tissues
- Guidelines for RNA Purification from Whole Blood
- Guidelines for RNA Purification from Yeast
- Guidelines for Sample Stabilization Using the Monarch DNA/RNA Protection Reagent
FAQs & Troubleshooting
- Is the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit compatible with Luna® RT-qPCR Reagents?
- Is the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit compatible with NEBNext® reagents for RNA Library Prep?
- What is the lowest volume in which I can elute my RNA with the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010)?
- How can I tell the difference between the gDNA Removal Column and the RNA Purification Column?
- Can the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit be used to purify RNA from yeast?
- Can the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit be used to purify RNA from bacteria?
- Can the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit be used to purify RNA from plants?
- How can I preserve my sample if I am not ready to extract RNA right after harvest?
- Can I purchase Monarch® buffers and columns separately?
- I am seeing genomic DNA in my preps when using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit. What could be the problem?
- Can I use the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit for RNA cleanup after enzymatic manipulations?
- Can I skip the on-column DNase I treatment step of the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit protocol?
- Can I skip the gDNA removal column step of the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit protocol?
- Can I use leftover Proteinase K and DNase I from the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit for other applications?
- Can I use NEB Proteinase K, Molecular Biology Grade (NEB #P8107S) in conjunction with the Monarch® Total RNA Miniprep Kit?
- Can the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010) be used to purify RNA from saliva?
- Can the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit NEB T2010 be used to purify RNA from buccal (cheek) swabs?
- Can the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010) be used to purify RNA from plasma or serum?
- Can the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010) be used to purify RNA from nucleated blood (e.g. bird, fish, reptile)?
- Can the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit be used to purify RNA from drosophila?
- Can the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit be used to purify RNA from zebrafish embryos/larvae?
- Can the genomic DNA captured on the Monarch gDNA Removal Column (NEB #T2017) be eluted and used in downstream applications?
- Can I lyse my adherent cells directly in their wells when using the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit?
- How can I assess RNA integrity and purity?
- Can I use NEB DNase I (#M0303) with the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit?
- I would like to purchase the contents of the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit (NEB #T2010S) separately. Which products do I need?
- Can extraction of RNA with the Monarch kits be automated?
- Is live SARS-CoV-2 virus inactivated during extraction with the Monarch Total RNA Miniprep Kit?
Citations & Technical Literature
- Stephanie S. Lehman, Nicholas F. Norieab, Karin Aistleitnerb, Tina R. Clarkb, Cheryl A. Dooleyb, Vinod Nairc, Simran Jeet Kaura, M. Sayeedur Rahmana, Joseph J. Gillespiea, Abdu F. Azada, Ted Hackstadtb. (2018) The Rickettsial Ankyrin Repeat Protein 2 Is a Type IV Secreted Effector That Associates with the Endoplasmic Reticulum. American Society of Microbiology: mBio; PubMedID: 29946049
- Cakar F, Zingl FG, Moisi M, Reidl J, Schild S. (2018) In vivo repressed genes of Vibrio cholerae reveal inverse requirements of an H+/Cl- transporter along the gastrointestinal passage. PNAS.; PubMedID: 29463743
Quality, Safety & Legal
Quality Assurance StatementQuality Control tests are performed on each new lot of NEB product to meet the specifications designated for it. Specifications and individual lot data from the tests that are performed for this particular product can be found and downloaded on the Product Specification Sheet, Certificate of Analysis, data card or product manual. Further information regarding NEB product quality can be found here.
SpecificationsThe Specification sheet is a document that includes the storage temperature, shelf life and the specifications designated for the product. The following file naming structure is used to name these document files: [Product Number]_[Size]_[Version]
Certificate Of AnalysisThe Certificate of Analysis (COA) is a signed document that includes the storage temperature, expiration date and quality controls for an individual lot. The following file naming structure is used to name these document files: [Product Number]_[Size]_[Version]_[Lot Number]
Safety DataSheetsThe following is a list of Safety Data Sheet (SDS) that apply to this product to help you use it safely.
Monarch® Proteinase K
Monarch® Proteinase K Resuspension Buffer
Monarch® Proteinase K Reaction Buffer
Monarch® DNase I
Monarch® DNase I Reaction Buffer
Monarch® Nuclease-free Water
Monarch® DNA/RNA Protection Reagent
Monarch® RNA Lysis Buffer
Monarch® RNA Priming Buffer
Monarch® RNA Wash Buffer
Legal and DisclaimersThis product is covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB).
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at [email protected].
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
New England Biolabs (NEB) is committed to practicing ethical science – we believe it is our job as researchers to ask the important questions that when answered will help preserve our quality of life and the world that we live in. However, this research should always be done in safe and ethical manner. Learn more.
Other Products You May Be Interested In
The supporting documents available for this product can be downloaded below.