Product Pathways - TGF-beta/Smad Signaling
Smad5 Antibody #9517
|9517S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9517P||40 µl (4 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9517||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
|W||1:1000||Human, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||60||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting
Specificity / Sensitivity
Smad5 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Smad5 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to the residues surrounding Ile251 of human Smad5. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Bone morphogenetic proteins (BMPs) constitute a large family of signaling molecules that regulate a wide range of critical processes including morphogenesis, cell-fate determination, proliferation, differentiation, and apoptosis (1,2). BMP receptors are members of the TGF-β family of Ser/Thr kinase receptors. Ligand binding induces multimerization, autophosphorylation, and activation of these receptors (3-5). They subsequently phosphorylate Smad1 at Ser463 and Ser465 in the carboxy-terminal motif SSXS, as well as Smad5 and Smad9 (Smad8) at their corresponding sites. These phosphorylated Smads dimerize with the coactivating Smad4 and translocate to the nucleus, where they stimulate transcription of target genes (5).
MAP kinases and CDKs 8 and 9 phosphorylate residues in the linker region of Smad1, including Ser206. The phosphorylation of Ser206 recruits Smurf1 to the linker region and leads to the degradation of Smad1 (6). Phosphorylation of this site also promotes Smad1 transcriptional action by recruiting YAP to the linker region (7).
- Hogan, B.L. (1996) Genes Dev 10, 1580-94.
- Hoodless, P.A. et al. (1996) Cell 85, 489-500.
- Klemm, J.D. et al. (1998) Annu Rev Immunol 16, 569-92.
- Kretzschmar, M. et al. (1997) Genes Dev 11, 984-95.
- Whitman, M. (1998) Genes Dev 12, 2445-62.
- Sapkota, G. et al. (2007) Mol Cell 25, 441-54.
- Alarcón, C. et al. (2009) Cell 139, 757-69.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 9516 Phospho-Smad1/5 (Ser463/465) (41D10) Rabbit mAb
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 6883 SignalFire™ ECL Reagent
- 12757 SignalFire™ Elite ECL Reagent
- 12630 SignalFire™ Plus ECL Reagent
- 9743 Smad1 Antibody
- 9515 Smad4 Antibody
This product is intended for research purposes only. The product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Cell Signaling Technology is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.