Smad3 AntibodyProduct information
|100 µl (10 western blots)||
Product Pathways - TGF-beta/Smad Signaling
Smad3 Antibody #9513
|9513S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|9513||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat||Endogenous||52||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation, IF-IC=Immunofluorescence (Immunocytochemistry)
Specificity / Sensitivity
Smad3 Antibody detects endogenous levels of total Smad3 protein.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to a central region unique to Smad3. Antibodies were purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HT1080, HeLa and B35 cell lines, using Smad3 Antibody.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells transfected with Smad3, using Smad3 Antibody.
Confocal immunofluorescent analysis of HT1080 cells, serum-starved (left), or treated with hTGF-β3 #8425 (100 ng/ml, 30 min; right), using Smad3 Antibody (green). Actin filaments were labeled with DY-554 phalloidin (red).
Members of the Smad family of signal transduction molecules are components of a critical intracellular pathway that transmit TGF-β signals from the cell surface into the nucleus. Three distinct classes of Smads have been defined: the receptor-regulated Smads (R-Smads), which include Smad1, 2, 3, 5, and 8; the common-mediator Smad (co-Smad), Smad4; and the antagonistic or inhibitory Smads (I-Smads), Smad6 and 7 (1-5). Activated type I receptors associate with specific R-Smads and phosphorylate them on a conserved carboxy terminal SSXS motif. The phosphorylated R-Smad dissociates from the receptor and forms a heteromeric complex with the co-Smad (Smad4), allowing translocation of the complex to the nucleus. Once in the nucleus, Smads can target a variety of DNA binding proteins to regulate transcriptional responses (6-8).
Following stimulation by TGF-β, Smad2 and Smad3 become phosphorylated at their carboxyl termini (Ser465 and 467 on Smad2; Ser423 and 425 on Smad3) by TGF-β Receptor I. Phosphorylated Smad 2/3 can complex with Smad4, translocate to the nucleus and regulate gene expression (9-11).
- Heldin, C.H. et al. (1997) Nature 390, 465-71.
- Attisano, L. and Wrana, J.L. (1998) Curr Opin Cell Biol 10, 188-94.
- Derynck, R. et al. (1998) Cell 95, 737-40.
- Massagué, J. (1998) Annu Rev Biochem 67, 753-91.
- Whitman, M. (1998) Genes Dev 12, 2445-62.
- Wu, G. et al. (2000) Science 287, 92-7.
- Attisano, L. and Wrana, J.L. (2002) Science 296, 1646-7.
- Moustakas, A. et al. (2001) J Cell Sci 114, 4359-69.
- Abdollah, S. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 27678-27685.
- Souchelnytskyi, S. et al. (1997) J. Biol. Chem. 272, 28107-28115.
- Liu, X. et al. (1997) Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U S A 94, 10669-10674.
- Van Themsche, C. et al. (2010) Mol Cancer 9, 216. Applications: Western Blotting.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 3108 Phospho-Smad2 (Ser465/467) (138D4) Rabbit mAb
- 9520 Phospho-Smad3 (Ser423/425) (C25A9) Rabbit mAb
- 6883 SignalFire™ ECL Reagent
- 12757 SignalFire™ Elite ECL Reagent
- 12630 SignalFire™ Plus ECL Reagent
- 3103 Smad2 (L16D3) Mouse mAb
- 3102 Smad2/3 Antibody
- 3709 TGF-β (56E4) Rabbit mAb
This product is intended for research purposes only. The product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Cell Signaling Technology is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.