Product Pathways - Apoptosis
Phospho-Mcl-1 (Ser159/Thr163) Antibody #4579
|4579S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|4579||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-Mcl-1 (Ser159/Thr163) Antibody detects endogenous levels of human Mcl-1 only when phosphorylated at either Ser159 or Thr163. It also recognizes transfected levels of phosphorylated mouse Mcl-1.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding human Ser159/Thr163. Antibodies were purified by peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells transfected with human Mcl-1, untreated or treated with λ-phosphatase, using Phospho-Mcl-1 (Ser159/Thr163) Antibody (upper) or with total Mcl-1 Antibody #4572 (lower).
Mcl-1 is an anti-apoptotic member of the Bcl-2 family originally isolated from the ML-1 human myeloid leukemia cell line during phorbol ester-induced differentiation along the monocyte/macrophage pathway (1). Similar to other Bcl-2 family members, Mcl-1 localizes to the mitochondria (2), interacts with and antagonizes pro-apoptotic Bcl-2 family members (3), and inhibits apoptosis induced by a number of cytotoxic stimuli (4). Mcl-1 differs from its other family members in its regulation at both the transcriptional and post-translational level. First, Mcl-1 has an extended amino-terminal PEST region, which is responsible for its relatively short half-life (1,2). Second, unlike other family members, Mcl-1 is rapidly transcribed via a PI3K/Akt dependent pathway, resulting in its increased expression during myeloid differentiation and cytokine stimulation (1,5-7). Mcl-1 is phosphorylated in response to treatment with phorbol ester, microtubule-damaging agents, oxidative stress, and cytokine withdrawal (8-11). Phosphorylation at Thr163, the conserved MAP kinase/ERK site located within the PEST region, slows Mcl-1 protein turnover (10) but may prime the GSK-3 mediated phosphorylation at Ser159 that leads to Mcl-1 destabilization (11). Mcl-1 deficiency in mice results in peri-implantation lethality (12). In addition, conditional disruption of the corresponding mcl-1 gene shows that Mcl-1 plays an important role in early lymphoid development and in the maintenance of mature lymphocytes (13).
- Kozopas, K.M. et al. (1993) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 90, 3516-20.
- Yang, T. et al. (1995) J Cell Biol 128, 1173-84.
- Sato, T. et al. (1994) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 91, 9238-42.
- Zhou, P. et al. (1997) Blood 89, 630-43.
- Wang, J.M. et al. (1999) Mol Cell Biol 19, 6195-206.
- Jourdan, M. et al. (2003) Oncogene 22, 2950-9.
- Chao, J.R. et al. (1998) Mol Cell Biol 18, 4883-98.
- Domina, A.M. et al. (2000) J Biol Chem 275, 21688-94.
- Inoshita, S. et al. (2002) J Biol Chem 277, 43730-4.
- Domina, A.M. et al. (2004) Oncogene 23, 5301-15.
- Maurer, U. et al. (2006) Mol Cell 21, 749-60.
- Rinkenberger, J.L. et al. (2000) Genes Dev 14, 23-7.
- Opferman, J.T. et al. (2003) Nature 426, 671-6.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 5453 Mcl-1 (D35A5) Rabbit mAb
- 4572 Mcl-1 Antibody
- 5284 Phospho-Bad (Ser112) (40A9) Rabbit mAb
- 5286 Phospho-Bad (Ser136) (185D10) Rabbit mAb
- 2827 Phospho-Bcl-2 (Ser70) (5H2) Rabbit mAb
- 4581 Phospho-Bim (Ser69) Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 9942 Pro-Apoptosis Bcl-2 Family Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9941 Pro-Survival Bcl-2 Family Antibody Sampler Kit
- 6883 SignalFire™ ECL Reagent
- 12757 SignalFire™ Elite ECL Reagent
- 12630 SignalFire™ Plus ECL Reagent
This product is intended for research purposes only. The product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Cell Signaling Technology is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.