Product Pathways - Metabolism
Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser108) Antibody #4181
|4181S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|4181P||40 µl (4 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|4181||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||38||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation
Specificity / Sensitivity
Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser108) Antibody detects endogenous levels of AMPKβ1 only when phosphorylated at serine 108. The antibody may cross-react with phosphorylated AMPKβ2 when phosphorylated at Ser109.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic phosphopeptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser108 of human AMPKβ1. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from C2C12 cells, untreated (lanes 1,3) or oligomycin-treated (lanes 2,4), using Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser108) Antibody (upper) or AMPKβ1 Antibody #4182 (lower). Cell lysates were treated with λ phosphatase in lanes 3 and 4 to demonstrate the phospho-specificity of Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser108) Antibody.
AMP-activated protein kinase (AMPK) is highly conserved from yeast to plants and animals and plays a key role in the regulation of energy homeostasis (1). AMPK is a heterotrimeric complex composed of a catalytic α subunit and regulatory β and γ subunits, each of which is encoded by two or three distinct genes (α1, 2; β1, 2; γ1, 2, 3) (2). The kinase is activated by an elevated AMP/ATP ratio due to cellular and environmental stress, such as heat shock, hypoxia, and ischemia (1). The tumor suppressor LKB1, in association with accessory proteins STRAD and MO25, phosphorylates AMPKα at Thr172 in the activation loop, and this phosphorylation is required for AMPK activation (3-5). AMPKα is also phosphorylated at Thr258 and Ser485 (for α1; Ser491 for α2). The upstream kinase and the biological significance of these phosphorylation events have yet to be elucidated (6). The β1 subunit is post-translationally modified by myristoylation and multi-site phosphorylation including Ser24/25, Ser96, Ser101, Ser108, and Ser182 (6,7). Phosphorylation at Ser108 of the β1 subunit seems to be required for the activation of AMPK enzyme, while phosphorylation at Ser24/25 and Ser182 affects AMPK localization (7). Several mutations in AMPKγ subunits have been identified, most of which are located in the putative AMP/ATP binding sites (CBS or Bateman domains). Mutations at these sites lead to reduction of AMPK activity and cause glycogen accumulation in heart or skeletal muscle (1,2). Accumulating evidence indicates that AMPK not only regulates the metabolism of fatty acids and glycogen, but also modulates protein synthesis and cell growth through EF2 and TSC2/mTOR pathways, as well as blood flow via eNOS/nNOS (1).
- Hardie, D.G. (2004) J Cell Sci 117, 5479-87.
- Carling, D. (2004) Trends Biochem Sci 29, 18-24.
- Hawley, S.A. et al. (1996) J Biol Chem 271, 27879-87.
- Lizcano, J.M. et al. (2004) EMBO J 23, 833-43.
- Shaw, R.J. et al. (2004) Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 101, 3329-35.
- Woods, A. et al. (2003) J Biol Chem 278, 28434-42.
- Warden, S.M. et al. (2001) Biochem J 354, 275-83.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9944 AICAR
- 9158 AMPK Control Cell Extracts
- 2603 AMPKα (23A3) Rabbit mAb
- 2793 AMPKα (F6) Mouse mAb
- 2532 AMPKα Antibody
- 4178 AMPKβ1 (71C10) Rabbit mAb
- 12063 AMPKβ1 Antibody
- 4150 AMPKβ1/2 (57C12) Rabbit mAb
- 1074 AMPKβ1/2 Blocking Peptide
- 4148 AMPKβ2 Antibody
- 4187 AMPKγ1 Antibody
- 2536 AMPKγ2 Antibody
- 2550 AMPKγ3 Antibody
- 3662 Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase Antibody
- 7074 Anti-rabbit IgG, HRP-linked Antibody
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 9996 Oligomycin
- 2535 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) (40H9) Rabbit mAb
- 4188 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) (D79.5E) Rabbit mAb
- 2531 Phospho-AMPKα (Thr172) Antibody
- 4184 Phospho-AMPKα1 (Ser485) Antibody
- 4185 Phospho-AMPKα1 (Ser485)/AMPKα2 (Ser491) Antibody
- 4186 Phospho-AMPKβ1 (Ser182) Antibody
- 3661 Phospho-Acetyl-CoA Carboxylase (Ser79) Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 6883 SignalFire™ ECL Reagent
- 12757 SignalFire™ Elite ECL Reagent
- 12630 SignalFire™ Plus ECL Reagent
This product is intended for research purposes only. The product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Cell Signaling Technology is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.