Product Pathways - Protein Translation
mTOR Antibody #2972
|2972S||100 µl (10 western blots)||---||In Stock||---|
|2972||carrier free and custom formulation / quantity||email request|
|W||1:1000||Human, Mouse, Rat, Monkey||Endogenous||289||Rabbit|
Species cross-reactivity is determined by western blot.
Applications Key: W=Western Blotting, IP=Immunoprecipitation
Species predicted to react based on 100% sequence homology: Pig, Horse.
Specificity / Sensitivity
mTOR Antibody detects endogenous levels of total mTOR. It cross-reacts weakly with some other proteins based on Western analysis.
Source / Purification
Polyclonal antibodies are produced by immunizing animals with a synthetic peptide corresponding to residues surrounding Ser2481 of human mTOR. Antibodies are purified by protein A and peptide affinity chromatography.
Western blot analysis of extracts from 293 cells (starved for 16 hours), untreated or EGF-treated (100 ng/ml), using Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) antibody #2971 (upper) or mTOR Antibody (lower).
Western blot analysis of extracts from HeLa cells, transfected with either control siRNA (-) or mTOR siRNA (+). mTOR was detected using mTOR Antibody #2972, and eIF4B was detected using eIF4B Antibody #3592. The mTOR Antibody confirms silencing of mTOR expression, and the eIF4B Antibody is used to control for loading and siRNA specificity.
The mammalian target of rapamycin (mTOR, FRAP, RAFT) is a Ser/Thr protein kinase (1-3) that functions as an ATP and amino acid sensor to balance nutrient availability and cell growth (4,5). When sufficient nutrients are available, mTOR responds to a phosphatidic acid-mediated signal to transmit a positive signal to p70 S6 kinase and participate in the inactivation of the eIF4E inhibitor, 4E-BP1 (6). These events result in the translation of specific mRNA subpopulations. mTOR is phosphorylated at Ser2448 via the PI3 kinase/Akt signaling pathway and autophosphorylated at Ser2481 (7,8). mTOR plays a key role in cell growth and homeostasis and may be abnormally regulated in tumors. For these reasons, mTOR is currently under investigation as a potential target for anti-cancer therapy (9).
- Sabers, C.J. et al. (1995) J Biol Chem 270, 815-22.
- Brown, E.J. et al. (1994) Nature 369, 756-8.
- Sabatini, D.M. et al. (1994) Cell 78, 35-43.
- Gingras, A.C. et al. (2001) Genes Dev 15, 807-26.
- Dennis, P.B. et al. (2001) Science 294, 1102-5.
- Fang, Y. et al. (2001) Science 294, 1942-5.
- Navé, B.T. et al. (1999) Biochem J 344 Pt 2, 427-31.
- Peterson, R.T. et al. (2000) J Biol Chem 275, 7416-23.
- Huang, S. and Houghton, P.J. (2003) Curr Opin Pharmacol 3, 371-7.
- Suzuki, A. et al. (2004) Mol. Cell. Biol. 24, 3526-3535. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Takahara, T. et al. (2006) J Biol Chem 281, 28605-14. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Hosokawa, N. et al. (2009) Mol Biol Cell 20, 1981-91. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Shavlakadze, T. et al. (2010) J Cell Sci , . Applications: Western Blotting.
- Chen, C.H. et al. (2011) Sci Signal 4, ra10. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Lee, J.W. et al. (2010) PLoS One 5, e15394. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Fei, Z. et al. (2011) J Biol Chem 286, 27761-8. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Gao, D. et al. (2011) Mol Cell 44, 290-303. Applications: Western Blotting.
- Izumi, N. et al. (2012) Cancer Sci 103, 50-7. Applications: Western Blotting.
Have you published research involving the use of our products? If so we'd love to hear about it. Please let us know!
- 9644 4E-BP1 (53H11) Rabbit mAb
- 7727 Biotinylated Protein Ladder Detection Pack
- 3274 GβL (86B8) Rabbit mAb
- 2691 PRAS40 (D23C7) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 2211 Phospho-S6 Ribosomal Protein (Ser235/236) Antibody
- 2976 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) (49F9) Rabbit mAb (IHC Specific)
- 5536 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) (D9C2) XP® Rabbit mAb
- 2971 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2448) Antibody
- 2974 Phospho-mTOR (Ser2481) Antibody
- 9205 Phospho-p70 S6 Kinase (Thr389) Antibody
- 7720 Prestained Protein Marker, Broad Range (Premixed Format)
- 9904 Rapamycin
- 2280 Raptor (24C12) Rabbit mAb
- 2114 Rictor (53A2) Rabbit mAb
- 6883 SignalFire™ ECL Reagent
- 12757 SignalFire™ Elite ECL Reagent
- 12630 SignalFire™ Plus ECL Reagent
- 2983 mTOR (7C10) Rabbit mAb
- 4517 mTOR (L27D4) Mouse mAb
- 9964 mTOR Pathway Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9864 mTOR Regulation Antibody Sampler Kit
- 9862 mTOR Substrates Antibody Sampler Kit
This product is intended for research purposes only. The product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
Cell Signaling Technology® is a trademark of Cell Signaling Technology, Inc.