NEB® 5-alpha F'Iq Competent E. coli (High Efficiency)Product information
- DH5α™ derivative
- Free of animal products
- Transformation efficiency 1-3 x 109 cfu/µg pUC19 DNA
- Efficient transformation of unmethylated DNA derived from PCR, cDNA and many other sources (hsdR)
- Tight control of expression by laclq allows potentially toxic genes to be cloned
- Activity of nonspecific endonuclease I (endA1) eliminated for highest quality plasmid preparations
- Resistance to phage T1 (fhuA2)
- Suitable for blue/white screening by α-complementation of the β-galactosidase gene
- F' allows cells to be infected with bacteriophage M13 for ssDNA production
- Reduced recombination of cloned DNA (recA1)
- K12 Strain
- Toxic gene cloning
- F´ strain with extremely high transformation efficiency
GenotypeF´ proA+B+ lacIq ∆(lacZ)M15 zzf::Tn10 (TetR) / fhuA2∆(argF-lacZ)U169 phoA glnV44 Φ80Δ(lacZ)M15 gyrA96 recA1 relA1 endA1 thi-1 hsdR17
The following reagents are supplied with this product:
|Store at (°C)||Concentration|
|pUC19 Vector||-20||0.05 ng/μl|
|SOC Outgrowth Medium||4||1X|
Advantages and Features
Properties and Usage
|Antibiotics for Plasmid Selection||Working Concentration|
- Ships on dry ice
Quality Control AssaysThe following Quality Control Tests are performed on each new lot and meet the specifications designated for the product. Individual lot data can be found on the Product Summary Sheet/Datacard or Manual which can be found in the Supporting Documents section of this page. Further information regarding NEB product quality can be found here.
- Transformation Efficiency:
The competent cells are tested for transformation efficiency and pass minimum release criteria. Transformation efficiency is defined as the number of colony forming units (cfu) which would be produced by transforming 1 μg of plasmid into a given volume of competent cells.
This product is covered by one or more patents, trademarks and/or copyrights owned or controlled by New England Biolabs, Inc (NEB).
While NEB develops and validates its products for various applications, the use of this product may require the buyer to obtain additional third party intellectual property rights for certain applications.
For more information about commercial rights, please contact NEB's Global Business Development team at email@example.com.
This product is intended for research purposes only. This product is not intended to be used for therapeutic or diagnostic purposes in humans or animals.
- CAUTION: This product contains DMSO, a hazardous material. Review the MSDS before handling.
- STORAGE AND HANDLING: Competent cells should be stored at -80°C. Storage at -20°C will result in a significant decrease in transformation efficiency. Cells lose efficiency whenever they are warmed above -80°C, even if they do not thaw.
- Does plasmid size affect transformation efficiency (C2992)?
- How long should I incubate cells on ice after DNA has been added (NEB #C2992H and NEB #C2992I)?
- How should I calculate the transformation efficiency (C2992)?
- What are the solutions/recipes (C2992)?
- What are the strain properties (C2992)?
- What is the difference between NEB #C2992H and NEB #C2992I?
- What is the optimal heat shock time for this strain (NEB #C2992H and NEB #C2992I)?
- Which strain of Competent E. coli should I use for general cloning?
- Can I store competent cells at -20°C instead of -80°C?
- Which kind of transformation tubes should be used?
- What volume of DNA can be added into competent cells?
- What is the shelf life for this strain (NEB #C2992H and NEB #C2992I)?
- Are NEB's competent cells compatible with the “Mix & Go" protocol?
- How should I store SOC Outgrowth Medium? The SOC I received with my competent cells recommends storage at either room temperature or 4°C, however, when I purchase it as a stand alone product, it recommends storing it at 4°C. Which is better?
Usage Guidelines & Tips
- Firnberg E, Ostermeier M (2013). The genetic code constrains yet facilitates Darwinian evolution Nucleic Acids Res. 41(15), 7420-8. PubMedID: 23754851, DOI: 10.1093/nar/gkt536
The supporting documents available for this product can be downloaded below.